Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Visions of Springtime

Oh, the snow still covers the ground, but as mid-February nears I am beginning to have my Springtime visions. I can see the dark, moist soil waiting for those first plantings. Do I till or no-till? Should I start thinking about getting the rotor-tiller running?

I can almost feel the soil in my hands, under my fingernails. What to plan for the year? Potatoes in towers again? Zucchini? Corn? Cukes? Peppers? Will the Romaine bed have volunteers again? How’s the asparagus bed going to do this year?

Peat moss, worm casings, top soil, composted manure…rabbit poop from under the pens…where to put the superhot chicken crud when I clean out coop? And the goat pens?

Hoping for the materials to really build my hugelculture. Ah, spring clean-ups, bags of decaying leaves and last years mulch just waiting along the curbs for me to come and take it away.

Oh, the grapevine, will it still be alive? Can’t wait to see the leaves on my fruit trees. I hope the prunings help them grow. Peach, Apple, Plum, Pear, should I plant some more?

Will the Jerusalem Artichokes flourish this year? Blueberries and raspberries and strawberries.

The seed packets are waiting. The growing soil sits waiting for its day in the sun. The grow lights still packed away for a little longer.

I love this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment