Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Impact of a street rat

"You are a worthless street rat. You were born a street rat. You will die a street rat. And only your fleas will mourn you." ~Prince Achmed~ From Disney's Aladdin...

Arent those sweet words?...just kidding. You know it seems that sometimes some of the rich and powerful and those sycophants who desire to sponge off them will feel no compulsion, no desire at all to lean down and help someone who is not rich and powerful...just for the sake of helping another human being. And in so doing the rich and powerful miss their opportunity to be truly rich and truly powerful.

These are biting words intended to drive the psyche of their intended target into the ground. Sometimes these words come not from the rich and powerful, but from the minds of those who feel themselves to be "less" than the rich and powerful. Their imagination creates a barrier that inhibits them from seeing the truth...

The truth is that Aladdin made an impact in the lives of many people before he found the Lamp. He made an impact. He was already rich and powerful and just couldnt "see" it because of the barriers his mind had created for him...probably because he was always looking out his bedroom window at someone else's magnificent palace.

I often struggle with thoughts of "what have I done?" What do I leave behind when I step off this world? Have I made an impact? I think on the magnificent...and I miss the truth. I miss the reality.

There are those right now whose lives have been forever changed because of me. Some changed for the worse, Some for the better. Could I do more for others if I were "rich and powerful"? I dont know and I likely will never know. But I do know a few things.
The biblical Joseph surely never saw as he rotted in Pharoah's dungeon that one day he would be second only to Pharoah in all the Land of Egypt. I also know that it is likely that Rechab never dreamed possible that his words would pass down through the generations and in time his children's loyalty to a promise given many years earlier would become the standard by which the great prophet Jeremiah would stand before the people of Israel and preach.

I know something today. I know that a testimony before men stands as a pillar of truth. I know that people. A GOOD name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.
If I do not see the light of another dawn I know that many will see a testimony in my family in the years that follow...and my family will get to decide if I will be honoured as was Rechab.

Impact...I believe as did Aladdin...I'm not a street rat...and I dont have fleas.

My magic lamp...why I've had one for years. Sometimes I just forget to rub it...Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path...

No comments:

Post a Comment